Steak Fajita Bowls – an easy recipe to make the most amazing steak fajita bowls for your next dinner! Perfect for meal prep or storing leftovers to enjoy the next day. Top them any way you want!
This easy Steak Fajita Bowl recipe is made with juicy, tender steak, easy fajita veggies, a delicious corn salsa, all served on cilantro lime rice and covered with all the fresh toppings (you have to try this cilantro lime sauce on top too)! Such a great option to meal prep for those busy weeknight dinners!
The Best Steak Fajita Bowl
This delicious steak fajita bowl recipe is one of the best ways to enjoy so many of our favorite things – marinated steak, cilantro lime rice, sautéed bell peppers and onions smothered in our homemade fajita seasoning – it is our Steak Fajitas recipe, but reimagined in a delicious bowl version!
We love serving this easy weeknight dinner because it can be meal prepped ahead of time and everyone in the family can assemble their own the way they want. Everyone might even like it better than Chipotle’s steak fajita bowls! We have always loved our Easy Burrito Bowls, but this amazing recipe is now a great addition to our weekly meal rotations!
What You Will Need
- corn salsa – our simple recipe for this homemade corn salsa is easy to make and brings so much flavor!
- flank steak – this is what we used but feel free to grab your favorite cut of steak from your local grocery story or butcher shop.
- steak fajita marinade – we absolutely love our homemade marinade recipe (also shown in the recipe card below) or you can skip the marinade too.
- fajita veggies – it only takes a few minutes to sauté the bell peppers and onions in some fajita seasoning.
- rice of choice – option to make a cilantro lime rice or add more veggies with a cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
- cilantro lime sauce – this is an optional topping, but if you have an extra 5 minutes… it’s worth it!
- guacamole – we love this homemade version or grab a store-bought option.
- tomatoes or salsa – you can either chop up some fresh tomatoes or whip up the salsa!
- sour cream – option to grab dairy-free or just a regular sour cream.
- lime wedges – most things are better with a fresh squeeze of lime juice.
- fresh cilantro – always great for that light and refreshing flavor!
How To Make Steak Fajita Bowls
This homemade steak fajita bowl recipe can be broken down into a variety of parts that will all come together in a one bowl dinner that’s so good! First, start by making your rice of choice. You can make cilantro lime rice, jasmine rice, brown rice, or switch it up with some cauliflower rice.
Now, place all of your corn salsa ingredients in a medium bowl and mix together.
Next, place all of the steak fajita marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Pour the marinade over your choice of steak, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight, if you have the time.
What Kind Of Steak Is Used For Fajitas
For this recipe we used flank steak, but feel free to use your favorite cut of meat. We also like using a sirloin steak, skirt steak, or hanger steak. You just might have to adjust your cook times a bit depending on how thick they are. If you have a grill, we also highly recommend using it to cook up the flank steak. So much great flavor!
Bring a large skillet to a medium high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil, and cook the steak for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 130-135 degrees F (use a meat thermometer) for a medium-rare finish.
Now let’s make some fajita veggies. Simply grab your favorite kitchen knife and cutting board to cut the bell peppers and onions into thin strips.
Add another drizzle of olive oil to the large cast-iron skillet, toss in the garlic, and then the peppers and onions to sauté for 10-15 minutes.
After your steak has rested for a few minutes, cut into thin strips and then into bite-sized chunks of steak that will be easy to toss in the bowl.
Finally, the best part…. time to assemble your delicious steak fajita bowl! Place the rice in first, add the steak, veggies, corn salsa, and then start adding all of your favorite toppings!
- cooking methods – in this recipe we showed how to prepare everything on the stove top in a cast iron skillet, but you could also easily use the grill! So simple to make grilled flank steak and wrap up the fajita veggies in some aluminum foil and toss that on the grill too!
- Whole30/Paleo – to make this Whole30/Paleo compliant you will want to use cauliflower rice or cilantro lime cauliflower rice, omit the corn salsa & cilantro lime sauce, and make sure your sour cream is dairy-free!
- toppings – we have listed so many great topping options below but if you are looking for more ideas you could add some sliced jalapeños, a mango pineapple salsa, black beans, or even a little bit of refried beans.
- storage – we recommend storing all the pieces of this dish (steak, veggies, rice, etc.) in separate containers to make reheating easier. This can easily be made over the weekend and placed in lunch containers for the week. Keep them in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!