Salsa Chicken – Grab your Instant Pot or slow cooker and whip up this super simple and delicious week night salsa chicken recipe that can be used in tacos, burritos, or your favorite rice bowl. This flavorful and tender chicken makes an easy meal that the whole family will enjoy.
This Salsa Chicken recipe is simple, delicious, and versatile, making it the perfect choice to add to your weeknight menu. Serve this savory shredded chicken in a warm tortilla with your favorite taco toppings, switch up the protein in your favorite rice bowl, or serve it on its own with a side of cilantro lime rice and a crunchy salad.
Easy Salsa Salsa Chicken Recipe
We love how quickly this dish comes together thanks to the trusty Instant Pot and simple ingredients. In a few easy steps, you’ll have tender, flavorful chicken that can be used on tacos, salads, or any dish that needs a kick of flavor and pop of color. Feel free to make a double batch for easy meal prep throughout the week. Trust us on this one and put this recipe on your weeknight menu.
What You Will Need
- olive oil – Avocado oil works great here too.
- yellow onion – The perfect ingredient to add flavors that compliment the mild chicken and robust salsa.
- garlic – You’ll notice the subtle spicy, nutty, and earthy flavors throughout.
- kosher salt – Just a bit to enhance all the flavors.
- ground black pepper – This amps up the bold salsa flavors.
- chunky salsa – Use your favorite jar of salsa. Just be sure to select the chunky variety, as it holds up the best during the cooking process.
- chicken breast – Be sure to select skinless and boneless chicken breasts to make shredding quick and simple.
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
Yes! This recipe can be made in your slow cooker or crockpot. First, bring a sauté pan to medium high heat on your stovetop and add oil to coat the pan. Next, add your garlic and onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir while allowing them to cook for about 2 minutes. Scrape onion and garlic into your crock pot followed by the chicken breasts and pour salsa on top. Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker, stir to combine ingredients, and enjoy!
How To Make Salsa Chicken
Start by gathering and prepping your ingredients. Set your Instant Pot to the sauté function and once hot, add your oil and allow it to coat the bottom of the pan. Add your diced onion and minced garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir your ingredients around for 1-2 minutes and then turn off the sauté function.
Next, add the raw chicken breasts to the Instant Pot.
Then top it all with the chunky salsa. Be sure to move the chicken around so that each piece is fully coated with the salsa. Place the lid on your Instant Pot, set it to sealing, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes of cooking, naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then carefully manually release.
Remove the cooked chicken breasts to a clean plate and shred them using two forks. Once complete, place the shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot and mix it throughly into the salsa mixture.
Add fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice to amp up the flavor!
What To Serve With Salsa Chicken
There are so many different ways to serve this simple and delicious salsa chicken! Because of the salsa flavors, we love to use this recipe to make chicken tacos or chicken burritos topped with our light and refreshing cilantro lime sauce or creamy avocado sauce. Or simplify things by making burrito bowls with a base of cilantro lime rice or white rice. No matter what dish you chose, here are some toppings to help you make this salsa chicken into a complete and tasty meal.
- Cilantro – A fresh herb that brings notes of lemon and pepper.
- Chopped jalapeños – For those who are looking for some heat!
- grilled corn – Simply grill up some corn on the cobs and slice off the corn kernels for a juice pop of flavor and color.
- fresh lime juice – A bright citrusy flavor that cuts through the more savory flavors.
- black beans or refried beans – A hearty legume to add texture, flavor, and even more protein.
- sliced purple and green cabbage – For a mild tasting crunch.
- romaine or butter lettuce – A great option for lettuce wraps.
- mango pineapple salsa – The sweet and savory flavors balance each other perfectly.
- sour cream – A simple condiment that adds a creamy light flavor.
- cheese – Because who doesn’t love melted cheese on top of chicken or any savory recipe for that matter?
- tortilla chips – Just imagine this chicken on top of crunchy chips with some melted cheese!
- avocado slices – A creamy, mild topping to pair with flavorful protein.
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to five days.
- cooking time – The cooking time listed in the recipe card refers to the Instant Pot method. The slow cooker method will take 3-4 hours on high and 4-8 hours on low.
- storage – Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to five days.
- crockpot/slow cooker method – Bring a sauté pan to medium high heat on stove and add oil to coat the pan. Add garlic and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then stir while allowing them to cook, about 2 minutes. Scrape onion and garlic into crock pot. Add chicken breasts and pour salsa on top. Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and shred with fork. Return to slow cooker.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Salsa Chicken – an easy, delicious salsa chicken recipe that uses classic, chunky salsa to create the easiest weeknight dinner recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15oz jar chunky salsa
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- Set to Sauté Function. Once hot, add oil and allow to coat the pan.
- Add onion and garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir and allow to cook, about 1-2 minutes. Turn off Saute Function.
- Add chicken and then pour salsa over top. Move the chicken around so each piece is fully coated.
- Ensure Instant Pot is set to Sealing and then cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes.
- Naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then carefully manually release.
- Remove chicken from the Instant Pot and set onto a plate. Use a fork to shred the chicken and then return it to the pot. Mix the shredded chicken back into the salsa mixture.
- Feel free to add fresh cilantro or lime juice, as desired, to intensify flavor.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator in airtight container for 3-5 days. We love serving them into tacos or a rice bowl!
- Slow Cooker Method: Bring sauté pan to medium high heat on stove and add oil to coat the pan. Add garlic and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then stir while allowing them to cook, about 2 minutes. Scrape onion and garlic into crock pot. Add chicken breasts and pour salsa on top. Cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours. Remove chicken and shred with fork. Return to slow cooker.
- Cook Time Listed: the cook time listed in the recipe card is for the Instant Pot – the slow cooker time is longer.
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Serving: Use this salsa chicken to make your favorite rice bowl, tacos, or burritos!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 137
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 713.2 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.5 g
- Protein: 17.2 g
- Cholesterol: 55.2 mg