Garlic Butter Rice – a quick and easy recipe for the most amazing garlic butter rice! It would make a great side dish for any main dish or base for a delicious rice bowl. Everyone is going to love this rich and buttery recipe!
This quick and easy Garlic Butter Rice recipe is the perfect side dish recipe that can go with just about any main dish! Make with your rice of choice (we used jasmine rice), butter, garlic, onion, flavorful chicken broth, and a pinch of salt. The whole family is going to love this simple recipe!
The Best Garlic Butter Rice
We love making a different varieties of rice as a side dish to go with so many different main dishes or as a base to all of our favorite rice bowl recipes. This is definitely another winner! The rich buttery flavor is so amazing with rice, plus it helps to enhance all the great flavors of the main dish that you are pairing with it (we love serving it with our Coconut Curry Salmon). Or keep it simple and toss in some rotisserie chicken, roasted veggies, pretty much anything you have on hand in the fridge for a simple rice bowl that you create yourself!
What You Will Need
- butter – option to use a plant-based butter if you want to keep it dairy-free.
- garlic & sweet yellow onion – classic aromatic ingredients that really bring the flavor!
- jasmine rice – this is the rice that we used, but feel free to use the rice variety that works for you.
- water or chicken broth – keep it simple with water or really amp up the flavor with some chicken broth from the grocery store or make your own!
- kosher salt – just a pinch for a little added seasoning.
How To Make Garlic Butter Rice
To start making this easy rice recipe, bring a medium saucepan to a medium high heat. Add the butter to melt and then toss in the onion and garlic. Move around in the pan until fragrant.
Now pour in the water or chicken broth.
Then add the dry rice and mix it all together.
Cover with a secure lid and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
Now remove from the heat and let the pot sit for 5 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and serve with your favorite recipes!
This recipe card is fantastic as-is, but if you are looking to make any variations there are some great options! First, feel free to add or decrease the amount of butter, garlic, or salt depending on how you like it. Next, if you want to add even more flavors, lemon juice or lemon zest would be great, a few fresh herbs, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a little bit of a kick!
How Should I Serve Garlic Butter Rice
There are so many great ways to serve this easy rice side dish recipe! Our all-time favorite is with our Coconut Curry Salmon, the flavors go together so well! It would also be great in a Shrimp Rice Bowl, Braised Lemon Garlic Chicken, or Chicken Piccata.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Garlic Butter Rice – a buttery and delicious garlic butter rice recipe that pairs perfectly with so many main dishes! Easy to make!
- 2–3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup jasmine rice*
- 1 1/2 cup water or chicken broth
- pinch of salt
- Bring medium saucepan to medium-high heat.
- Add butter and let melt. Add garlic and onion. Move around the pan until the garlic is fragrant and the onion softens, approx. 1 minute.
- Add water, rice and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine. Bring to boil and the reduce to simmer. Cover and let simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Taste and, if you want, you can add another 1 tablespoon (or more) of butter to the rice along with any additional salt you feel is needed.
- We love serving this with our Coconut Curry Salmon!
- Rice Options: you can really use any type of rice here (long grain white rice, basmati rice, brown rice), but the amounts may differ. If you want to switch up the type of rice used, simply look on the packaging of your rice of choice and follow the rice + water amounts and their cook time instructions while adding in the butter, garlic and onion – as directed above.
- Storage: store rice leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Dairy-Free: to make this dairy-free use a plant-based butter.