Chocolate Protein Shake – A delicious and healthy breakfast or a mid afternoon snack, made with whole foods like naturally sweet banana, creamy peanut butter, and rich cocoa powder. With nearly 20 g of protein, this is a perfect protein shake to boost your essential nutrient intake and add to your daily diet.
Our Chocolate Protein Shake is as delicious as it is simple to whip together. Add rich cocoa powder, natural peanut butter, a ripe banana, and a few other simple ingredients into your blender, and in under 10 minutes you’ve got yourself a healthy, filling, and tasty chocolate peanut butter protein shake to keep you moving throughout the day.
The Best Chocolate Protein Shake
Gone are the days of mixing chalky protein powder with water and calling it a day. If you’ve been wondering how to make a chocolate protein shake taste better, you’ve come to the right place. We combined our favorite healthy and delicious ingredients together to create a rich and creamy chocolate peanut butter protein shake, a great choice for busy mornings or a mid-afternoon pick me up. Try out this easy recipe that adds a boost of protein and flavor to your day.
What To Put In Chocolate Protein Shake
- frozen banana – Give new life to your extra ripe bananas by peeling them and popping them in a freezer safe bag to always have on hand for smoothies.
- peanut butter – We used a natural, sugar-free peanut butter, but cashew butter or sun butter would work too. This simple ingredient adds creaminess and folic acid, which helps the body break down and use new proteins.
- protein powder – Use your favorite brand!
- cocoa powder – Meet chocolate in one of its purest forms, keeping more of the nutritional value intact. You can usually find this ingredient in the baking aisle at your local grocery store.
- ground flax – Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, healthy fats, and fiber, ground flaxseed is an easy way to amp up the nutritional value in this smoothie recipe.
- chia seeds – Mild in flavor, but high in nutritional content, chia seeds help you stay fuller for longer.
- almond milk – We prefer non-dairy milk as it lightens up this smoothie, but any milk variety will do. Just be sure to select an unsweetened variety.
- vanilla extract – Just a little bit goes a long way to add a nice subtle flavor.
- cinnamon – Adds a nice warmth that compliments the chocolate flavor.
- ice cubes – To help all of the ingredients blend together.
- maple syrup – An optional ingredient for those who want a touch more sweetness.
How To Make A Chocolate Protein Shake
Start by gathering and measuring out all of your shake ingredients.
Next, carefully place each ingredient into your high-powered blender.
Place the lid on your blender and blend on high until there is a smooth consistency. If it looks like your shake needs a bit more thinning out, add a few splashes of almond milk until it’s reached your desired consistency. To thicken it up, add a few more ice cubes.
Separate your chocolate protein shake into two glasses and enjoy!
For all the peanut butter lovers out there, feel free to add an extra drizzle of peanut butter on top for an extra layer of creamy, delicious, nutty flavor.
And if you’re feeling extra decadent, top it off with a bit of whip cream and a bit of shaved dark chocolate. Then find a quiet place to enjoy this delicious protein shake where you can fully appreciate the cool creaminess, subtle sweetness, and chocolatey goodness.
- Nut Butters – Feel free to substitute peanut butter for cashew butter, almond butter, or sun butter if you need to avoid peanuts.
- Protein Powder – We tested this recipe with a plain protein powder, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- Almond Milk – Any milk variety will work. We prefer almond milk because of its light flavor.
- Maple Syrup – We suggest trying this recipe without the maple syrup first, and then add a bit of you need a bit more sweetness.
- Nutrition – Scroll down to the recipe card for the exact amount of protein in this smoothie.
Made this homemade protein shake recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Protein Shake – this peanut butter cup protein shake is made with real, simple ingredients and is the perfect way to get extra protein in!
- 1 frozen banana
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1–2 tablespoons plain protein powder (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- (optional) 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup (if you want it a touch sweeter)
- serving: extra drizzle of peanut butter, shaved chocolate and whipped cream (optional)
- Combine ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend on HIGH until consistency is smooth. Add additional splashes of almond milk, as-needed, to thin. Add additional ice cubes to thicken.
- Serve with a drizzle of peanut butter on top along with some shaved chocolate and whipped cream (dairy-free or reg).
- Peanut Butter: feel free to sub in a cashew butter here or sun butter if you need to avoid peanuts. I used a sugar-free peanut butter, so be aware that if you use a sweetened version it will add to the sweetness of the shake.
- Protein Powder: use your favorite kind here! I used an unsweetened variety – if you use a sweetened protein powder adjust the recipe accordingly to account for the added sweetness.
- Almond Milk: use any sort of milk you want here like soy milk, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, or coconut milk- we prefer almond milk because of the light flavor.
- Maple Syrup: feel free to try it without the maple syrup and then add if you want it sweeter!