Brown Sugar Ham Glaze – a quick and easy recipe for making a perfectly sweet brown sugar ham glaze. Brush this on your holiday ham, no matter how you are cooking it. Everyone will love it!
This simple Brown Sugar Ham Glaze uses only 5 real, simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand! It will only take a few minutes to make and will definitely bring your baked ham to the next level!
The Best Brown Sugar Glaze For Ham
Typically for most holiday dinners we are either baking a ham, smoking a ham or cooking our ham in the crockpot and one of the best ways to make it even more delicious is to add this brown sugar glaze! It comes together in a matter of minutes and will give your ham a perfectly sweet crispness to the outside. We love making a brown sugar glazed ham for Easter dinner, Christmas dinner, Thanksgiving dinner, or just a large get together! It is always a large crowd pleaser and any leftovers are also delicious!
What You Will Need
- butter – option to use ghee or a plant-based butter if you want to keep it dairy-free.
- brown sugar – a touch of sweetness giving the outside of the ham the perfect sugar crystallization.
- cinnamon & allspice – two classic spices that add so much flavor!
- dijon mustard – a little bit of tang – mustard and ham are a classic combination.
How To Make Brown Sugar Glaze For Ham
The first steps to make this simple brown sugar glaze are to gather your ingredients.
Then place all of those ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a medium high heat.
As the butter melts you can carefully whisk everything together and drop the heat to a lower temp as the glaze thickens.
When Should I Add The Ham Glaze To The Ham
Once your glaze is fully combined, you can use a basting brush to coat the outside of your ham in the brown sugar glaze. This is done when you have about 20 minutes of cook time remaining. Just brush on the glaze and return the ham to finish cooking, uncovered, and then let it rest before carving.
- can I glaze the ham the night before: no, we do not recommend glazing the ham for more than 30 minutes left of the cook time otherwise you run the risk of the sugar burning.
- double batch: if you really love a lot of glaze or you want to reserve some for dipping, we suggest that you make a double batch of this recipe!
- Paleo: just sub the brown sugar for coconut sugar.
- glazed ham steak: this can easily be done by brushing 1 to 2 tablespoons of the glaze on all sides of your ham steak and then cook it according to your favorite ham steak reacipe.
Made this recipe and loved it?! We would love it if you would take a minute and leave a star rating and review – it is also helpful if you made any substitutions or changes to the recipe to share that as well. THANK YOU!
Brown Sugar Ham Glaze – a simple, delicious and easy brown sugar ham glaze recipe that is sure to take your Holiday ham to the next level!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring saucepan to medium heat and stir as the butter slowly melts. Once butter has melted you will have a nice thick glaze.
- Taste and adjust any flavor, as desired. If you feel it is too thick and you prefer it thinner – whisk in water a tablespoon at a time.
- Cook your ham according to your favorite recipe and brush glaze over ham before the last 20 minutes or so of cooking. Return to oven, uncovered, and finish cooking. Feel free to use a kitchen blow torch to crisp up the outside before serving!
- Double Recipe: feel free to double this recipe, if needed.
- Paleo: to keep this recipe paleo ensure you use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar.
- Butter: feel free to use ghee or plant-based butter here.